Bed bugs are household pests that can cause a lot of misery and discomfort, but these pests can be difficult to find, identify, and eliminate. They may go undetected for a long time, so you could have them but not know it. These insects feed on human blood, and bites may be mistaken for mosquito bites or bites from other insects. Some people don’t have a reaction to the bites of a bed bug.
Although bed bugs are very difficult to see, adult bugs can sometimes be seen in the crevices of your mattress. They are very tiny, reddish brown and flat. They may leave behind evidence of molten skin they have shed.
It only takes a small number of bed bugs to breed an infestation. If you have a bed bug infestation, treatment of the problem is a lot more complicated than just treating the itching. Over-the-counter pesticides or other deterrents aren’t likely to be effective. If you don’t eliminate every single bed bug, they can quickly multiply again. You may think that moving will solve the problem, but if you don’t take the right steps, the bed bugs may go along with you wherever you do.
Avoid Bringing Bed Bugs With You to Your New Home
Moving to a new place gives you an opportunity for a fresh start. When moving day arrives, you need to do everything you can to be sure you don’t bring bed bugs to your new place. This is something you have to think about whether or not you have had bed bugs in your prior home.
Here are three tips to be sure you don’t bring these pests along:
- Don’t ever pick up discarded furniture. If you have ever been enticed to take something from the side of the road with you when you see that it is free, it’s important to resist this temptation. Recycling discarded items is one of the most common ways that bed bugs can enter your home. Avoid taking home a mattress or any bedroom furniture from the street. Keep in mind that people who are struggling with a bed bug infestation may throw their mattress, bedding, or other bedroom furniture by the side of the road. They want their problem to go away, and if you pick it up, their problem will quickly become your problem!
- Protect yourself against acquiring bed bugs while moving. If you have hired someone to move your belongings, remember that some moving companies take precautions against bed bugs while others don’t. Ask anyone that you hire for moving purposes what their bed bug policy is and if they can guarantee that the trucks they use are free of bed bugs. Be careful when you are using people who are not professional movers.
- Hire professionally equipped movers. If you already have bed bugs and are moving to a new place, the best approach is to move your belongings on a truck that is heated. Not all vehicles can be warmed, and there has to be enough room left in the truck for heaters. At Thermapro Solutions, we offer this service, and this can save you a lot of headaches after you move into your new place.
You do not want to bring bed bugs from one residence to another. Do everything you can to be sure these pests are eliminated before you move into your new place.
Make Sure Your New Place Has No Bed Bugs
Be sure to check that you are not moving into an infested environment. How can you be sure the home you are moving to has no bed bugs? There are some precautions you can take to make sure your new home is free of these pests, so you can avoid being exposed to a bed bug infestation when you first move into a new place. Remember that just one or two bugs can quickly lead to an infestation.
These are four things you should do to protect yourself:
- Ask about the possibility of bed bugs before signing anything including whether the property has been inspected for pests. While it’s possible they might not tell you the truth if they do have a bed bug infestation, you may get relevant information just from asking this question. If the other party hesitates when you ask about bed bugs, this may be cause for suspicion. They may answer the question by letting you know that they have a pest control service. You should ask about pest control protocol before signing a lease and to make sure that there is one in place.
- The best way to know if your space is free of bed bugs is by having a professional inspection done. This test is also a much cheaper decision in the long run rather than having to deal with problems in the future. We offer this service using specially trained dogs, which is a much more efficient method than trying to rely on visual observances of these tiny insects.
- Thoroughly inspect and clean the place yourself before you move in. Inspect visually and pay particular attention to a conglomerate of dark dots forming on baseboards, walls, near electrical outlets, and heaters, especially in the bedroom and the living room. If you know that the person that lived there before you had a hoarding problem, we strongly suggest you hire a professional for an inspection. It is always a reasonable precaution to have your belongings inspected before entering a new home. Once you take this precaution, if you should have a bed bug problem in the future, you had written documentation that your belongings were free of bed bugs before you moved in. Inspection is one of the services that can be done by Thermapro Solutions.
- It’s always a good idea to take preventative measures. For example, place bed bug traps and inspect every day for the first month after moving, and take action at first sight of an infestation before the problem grows. Place mattress covers and special coasters on the legs of the bed to avoid them climbing up the bed. Leave a little space separating the bed from the wall until you are sure there are no bed bugs.
The importance of checking for bed bugs when you first move in cannot be overemphasized. A single female lays multiple eggs daily, which can quickly lead to a major infestation in a matter of months.
Bed bugs are tough to see; you are looking for an insect roughly the size of an apple seed. Our dogs are expertly trained and certified for bed bug detection, offering the best option for accurate and efficient detection.
Pesticides Are Rarely Enough
It would be great if bed bugs could be easily eliminated using sprays or other do-it-yourself methods, but traditional treatments with pesticides alone have minimal to no effectiveness in quickly eliminating infestations of bed bugs. Treatment with insecticides usually has to be repeated multiple times, and the longer it takes, the more the bugs are continuing to multiply.
Pesticides must be sprayed directly on the insects if they are going to be effective, and they don’t provide long-lasting control. It can be difficult to spray pesticides directly on bed bugs since they are so hard to see, and if an area is sprayed, the bed bugs will merely move to a different room. Aerosol “foggers” are not a practical solution for bed bug infestation.
Bed Bug Heat Treatment
The most effective way to exterminate bed bugs is through heat treatment. At Thermapro Solutions, we offer a green, chemical-free solution known as Thermal Remediation, which is cost-effective and environmentally friendly.
Thermal Remediation is done by using heat. In this way, we can penetrate an entire structure including walls, floors, and ceilings. Every square inch of an infested room is thoroughly treated with heat, so it is unlikely that bugs will be missed even though they are not seen.
Only one heat treatment is needed to eradicate bed bugs, and you can return to the treated area immediately.
The benefits of choosing heat to treat bed bug infestations include:
- Pesticide and chemical free
- Use of a state-of-the-art temperature monitoring system
- Proven to destroy bed bugs from egg to adult stages
- Personal belongings can stay in the room during treatment
- Safe for those who have allergies or are sensitive to chemicals
- Residents can return home the same day
- No residue is left after treatment
- One-time treatment
- 100% guaranteed
Get Expert Help for Bed Bug Infestations
If you know that you have a bed bug infestation, or if you suspect you could have one, you do not have struggle with it alone. In this is a challenging situation, you should leave it to the experts to solve.
Thermapro Solutions is your best solution for bed bug extermination in Montreal and the surrounding areas. We are happy to give you all the information you need about our heat treatments, proven protocol, and K9 detection.
If you have any questions about bed bug extermination, contact Thermapro Solutions today. We know how to rid your space of bed bugs!